Pages

Monday, August 2, 2010

From Marketing Assistant to Popcorn Girl

I was advised to look on careerbuilder, monster, simply hired, craigslist, and a bunch of other sites to apply for jobs. It's true these are good sites to scan for job opportunities. But like with everything online...be wary! I applied to a marketing assistant job on careerbuilder. I got called in for an interview last Monday and it was the most "interesting" job interview I've had by far. Now to be fair, I haven't had that many interviews. Still, this one takes the cake! I had a bad feeling the night before and was worried the building wouldn't even exist because I wasn't familiar with the company. I typed the address into Google maps and lo and behold it existed so I thought...why not give it a shot? You need a job. Go out there! "Grab a bull's balls!" (Never Been Kissed reference). I walked into this storefront office in Schaumburg, after getting lost on Golf Road and almost getting rammed by a road rager behind me, and Kei$ha's "Blah, blah, blah" was blaring. I felt like I was in a club/bar. Soundbar, Skybar, Maxbar, Roscoe's...take your pick. The receptionist greeted me, asked me to fill out a form, and said management would be right with me. She swiveled around in her leather chair to ask what my passion is. Shopping? Fashion? I said, "I love food." It was either sound like a fatty or lie. I don't know a thing about fashion and I wasn't going to pretend that I idolize Vera Wang or Marc Jacobs. I watch What Not To Wear but that has not made me a fashionista. She gave me a very perplexed look and then smiled and said, "Oh, me too! I met Bobby Flay!" Then she rambled on about this cupcake place (Crumbles?) in NYC that she loves. She was very chatty for a Monday morning. Then we started talking about tapas and she asked if I knew of any Spanish restaurants. I suggested my favorite place in Naperville, Meson Sabika. So we talked about food some more and at no point during this conversation did she talk about marketing or the company. She then got on the phone with management and a woman came out of her office to interview me. The interviewer was a nice lady not as out there as the receptionist. She asked me the usual questions: about my strengths, weaknesses, career goals, where I see myself in 5 years, etc. The whole time I had Kei$ha in my head. Not a good thing. Never a good thing. This lady then asked me if I would be interested in selling popcorn and other food items at Costco or Sam's Clubs in the suburbs. I couldn't believe it. I still can't. It's not that I think working at Costco is beneath me, it's just that career builder failed to mention this in the job description. She then asked if I prefer the automotive industry instead. She gave me the option of working at gas stations selling windshield repair kits. Oy vey! I said, "No!" in the nicest way possible. She said management would consider me for the food industry position. I'd have my own stand at Costco selling popcorn or fudge. She said that within 6 months I could become an account manager and make $60,000 but to start out I'd be working on commission. I felt like I talked with the receptionist about cupcakes longer than I was interviewed. The interview was about 20 minutes long and she told me that she would call me at 5pm if I made the cut for the second round of interviews. I got that call at 5:02 and politely declined. Long story short...read the job descriptions and if you have a feeling something looks/sounds sketchy then call to get more information. I love fudge and popcorn but that's not what I signed up for when I applied.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I highly doubt anyone starts peddling popcorn and becomes a manager making 60k. Super shady! Glad you have the smarts to reject that one!

Keep at it - the right job will find you! ;)